Sunday, November 29, 2009

Train to Productivity derails near North Pole.

Ah the holidays... conceptually, I like the idea of the holidays. I like holiday lights and pretty snows and spiced wine. I like when people mistake my everyday striped socks for elf-wear (striped socks make a great gift, by the way--I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like some striped socks every once in a while). However, I'm unhappy to report that the drawing for my next print has been delayed by the crash that almost yearly is the result of the treacherous conditions on the track near the holiday season. The drawing was on the train but is okay--just a little slow getting restarted.

It's trouble for artists who work to get days off and be required to spend them entirely accomplishing nothing but alternately reaffirming then straining familial bonds. As many artists will tell you, one of the hardest things is to get past the inertia when you've stopped working, especially if you also had to put
other things on hold. Then you find yourself starving and needing to hit the grocery store, dying your hair, cleaning your bathroom, fixing a chair, returning phone calls and still just thinking about getting back to that drawing while the hours count down to an event you've already promised to attend this evening. Aack! The struggle for balance continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment