Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why not designate an area?

So my sister stopped by the last night and was telling me that my niece seems to be having some trouble adjusting to her new 'toddler' class at this hoity toity montessori 'school' she attends. Now, at 17 months, it's really just a daycare, right? Don't get all inflamed if you're all about your montessori--I don't actually care at this point in my life.

What interested me was this new device they use (or at least that I've never heard of): the Crying Rug. The Crying Rug is where you go if you just need to cry it out for a few. Kelley mentioned this, and I immediately said, "Can I get one of those at work?" Now, I was kidding. I know people who hate their jobs, and I certainly don't hate my job like they do. I have other things I wouldn't mind spending more time on, but... I'm definitely not Aaron and not you either, Jim.

Would we be better off if we could designate a physical place for expressing certain things? If you were forced to head over to the B*tch*ng Rug before starting off on something, would you even make it over there? What if it's the good stuff? Can I love you only in the confines of this space and never think of you while I'm away? No, I guess not. When you put a happy feeling in there, the whole thing doesn't make sense. I suppose the Crying Rug is an early lesson about how to confine fears and sadness so you can put on a brave face at all other times. In normal society, I would say this skill is at least as useful as using the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment