Sunday, November 15, 2009

On why I'd write a blog.

It is true that I've often thought blogging is a little vain, and it is also true that while I often joke about my vanity, I tend to be less impressed with myself than I let on. Anyway this friend of mine (who we'll call Aaron) and I discussed me becoming a blogger once or twice before, and I accused him of just wanting to keep me writing for his amusement at work (Aaron may have the most boring job I've ever heard of--I'm pretty sure I fell asleep briefly when he was telling me about it the first time). Anyway, it's become a bit of a joke with me, when talking about something random (as I often do) to close the comment with "... that's my next blog post." Honestly, I think it's better than the old standby "... then I found five dollars." We'll have to see if that's funny to people when they know I might be serious. I might be, too, so look out. I'm not changing your names (it will just confuse me later).

Here's the real reasoning and justification, as I wrote it to Amber the other day:

"I've also been thinking about starting a blog for real, partly to make myself accountable to my readers about how I'm spending my time, partly b/c it will make me write. I think when I don't take time to write,... I tend to forget what I've been thinking about, and there's a lot of useful imagery and material to be had in all that jumbled mess... I think I just convinced myself to do this."

As of now, I have no followers, and it made it easier to write this first post (like the proverbial blank white canvas--more on painting later), but as noted above, the accountability is missing. I suppose the first person I'll invite will be Aaron--it was his idea--and later I'll blame him as well, if somehow this goes badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment